Tuesday, August 27, 2013

My New Season

I've put off writing this blog entry for a few reasons. Firstly, I had no idea if what I was about to share was even going to become a reality. Secondly, it's very unexpected for myself, so I know it is not expected for others (especially my beloved friends in Kenya)
Two years ago, I didn't really like kids. I didn't know what to do with them after saying hello and telling them how cute they were. We would just stare at each other awkwardly and then they'd run and play while I walked away wondering why little Bobby didn't like me (although I guess he would have a name like Otieno) :). It was frustrating, but I didn't really think much of it. The big move came. I got onto a plane that would carry me about 10,000 miles away from my home, my family, church, culture- everything! I moved in with my amazing sister, her wonderful husband, and the cutest three month old baby I had ever seen. Needless to say, I had to learn pretty fast how to change diapers and not shove too much food down her mouth. Once I knew what do with her, I absolutely fell in love with my Makena girl! However, ask me to come babysit somebody else's kid, and it was a different story...Until a little boy named Riah stole my heart! I remember the day I was watching him play outside while I was on my phone, hoping his parents would come home early. What am I supposed to talk to a three year old about? He pulled out his pirate toys and started to pretend he was on a ship. His imagination came alive, and I got pulled right into it. Soon, we were both playing around in water having the time of our lives. Maybe I could get along with him! But just him. Months later, I moved to Memphis, Tennessee and joined The Life Church as a full time intern. My first Sunday serving, I went up to a pastor and asked him where he would like me to serve. "Launch", was his answer. Are you kidding me? Our room for first through third grader services? Can't I just clean the bathrooms? It was my first big attitude adjustment. I breathed in, smiled, and said "Ok!." I stood at the doors of the room they met in, knowing I was about to drown in the pandemonium of little children everywhere. "I can do this." To make a long story short, I now coordinate services every weekend, write lessons, and help children become the amazing people God meant for them to be- and there is NO hesitation in my heart before walking into that Launch room. Over the course of this year, God has shown me the amazing gift it is to raise up the next generation. Though some of those kids may never remember my name when they get older, I know they will remember what I told them. I know that because I remember what I learned in third grade. I don't remember who taught me what lesson, but I had a strong foundation as a little child, simply because people were willing to give their time and energy to teach me about Jesus. Speaking of teaching.... In 9th grade, my History teacher, Mr. McBride, said to the class,
"Some of you have never thought about being teachers. You need to. Do you like to learn? Teachers always learn, every single day. I get to come into this building every day for nine months, and you HAVE to listen to me. I get to influence what you think about this subject, your classmates, your school, your life, and even God."
"That's cool", was all I thought in my head... but what he said never left my heart. Little did I know, that God would start to change my heart then and there for children, and He would continue it until this very day. During this year, I was seeking God about vision for my life. I kept asking myself the question, "What in the world am I here for?!" It was frustrating. I was waiting for that "clouds opening up in the sky" moment where God would reveal my whole future and destiny. It didn't happen. What did happen, however, is that I continued to stay submitted to my leaders. What they asked, I did my best to do... and they asked me to love the next generation. And I love it. In May, I realized that I wanted to go to college. But I couldn't think about what I would be passionate enough to study for four years. I know you're all thinking "Duh, Krista!" Well, I hadn't put all the pieces together yet. When I did, I had an overwhelming peace. I am meant to teach. At this point, I would love to get a degree in teaching, and use it in Memphis to teach kids who need to know they are special and valued, but also around the world as an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher. It's an incredible "in" to the mission field. Who knows what God will use it for? I mean, my Sovereign, Good, Always-takes-care-of-me God might even turn everything around in two years. But one thing I do KNOW- I am going to school in just a few hours. It's been four long, long months of fighting to make it in. It's been the hardest thing I've ever worked for. And how much more I value it! I didn't expect this turn of events. This means I could possibly be in America for four more years or more. This is not a bad thing, because God has blessed me with an amazing church family and given me a heart for Memphis, but it is something I did not see coming. It is a sacrifice deciding to be away from home longer than I thought. I miss Kenya. I miss my family, and the culture that is so familiar to me. Still, after two years of Stateside living, I am still adjusting. With this next huge step, I will continue to adjust even more. BUT GOD IS FAITHFUL. I know He would not call me to it if I couldn't handle it. Friends and family here, thank you for your unwavering support during this season! I wouldn't have made it without you. Friends and family in Kenya, nimekumiss! I ask that you would continue to pray for me and keep in touch with me! I am always African.
My bag is packed. I am stepping into my new season, with the God of Angel Armies by my side!

1 comment:

Angie -Kenya said...

Wow Krista loved reading this blog and love that you are listening to God...May God continue to lead you and guide your heart into His purpose for you. We miss you too.
Angie Chavangi